Sunday 31 May 2009

Finished programming (!?)

This is a great day. The sun is shining, it's about 29 degrees outside (This is Norway and it's not even June yet, so that is pretty good). And the drum machine code is now ready for extensive testing. I guess there are still some small bugs in there, but now all major and minor functionality is finished and the machine is playing cool rythms :-D

Next up will be to get some silk screen equipment and start work on the box. Also I've had to come to terms with a few shortcomings with the current controller design. The LEDs flicker a bit while the sequencer plays, and the encoders are a bit unstable. To overcome this I will have to build a completely new controller again (v5), with a separate led controlling circuit, and with dedicated encoder chips. However, everything works ok, so this wont happen for a while.

I had to re-make the ribbon cables between the controller and the keyboard as well. Half of the numeric keyboard didn't work due to some stupid wiring mishap. Now the only key that doesn't work is the left-key. I'm not sure why yet, have to get my multimeter out and start measuring :-D

I guess this wraps things up for summer, have fun untill the cold winds of fall makes it possible to be inside coding again :-D

No comments: